AnsweredAssumed Answered

How does Marketo determine an email is invalid?

Question asked by 06d1023b40028b68aa12da0f9c1ba7358baa58fb on Jan 9, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 by sanford.whiteman

I recently started looking at bounced email addresses we have in our instance and have come across several email addresses that appear to be valid email addresses. I know the email addresses are valid because we have recruiters who have regular email interactions with these people using their own work email addresses. I also sent out an email to a handful of leads that have been marked invalid to see if any bounce back to me and got nothing, leading me to believe the email addresses are actually valid and accepting emails.

- How does Marketo decide when to mark an email invalid? Looking in the activity history of some of these, I'll see "Send Email" immediately followed by "Email Bounced" with Invalid Email switched to "True" shortly after that. In some of the cases there were previous emails that had been delivered and a week later a 2nd email bounced and the lead gets marked invalid.

My concern is that Marketo is marking valid email addresses as invalid. There are other post on this subject, but I wasn't able to find a good answer. Is this an issue others have faced, and, if so, how did you handle it?

JD

Outcomes